!!! WARNING !!!
The following test may cause extreme temporary self-contempt! Participate at your own risk, and don’t blame me for your likely failure, please!
O.K., first question to all you cardicians out there: About how many hours of your life have you logged in so far toying or practicing with a deck of cards in your hands? 1,000 hours? 10,000? Maybe even 100,000? (That would be my guess for the likes of Richard Turner and Roberto Giobbi!)
Anyway, you are pretty familiar with a standard poker deck of cards in USPCC design, aren’t you? I bet you bet you are!
So, here are a few simple questions then. If you have a deck in your hands right now, put it away. If you don’t carry one now, good. Keep away from the nearest box. And don’t peek! (I would notice.)
Ten questions to shake your cardboard world:
(1) How many different print colors do the regular court cards display, including black?
(Don’t guess! Envision the cards and try to remember their precise look!)
OK, that was quite easy for a starter, wasn’t it? Go on…
(2) When we look at all twelve court cards, how many of them are looking to our left?
I think I already got you on this one. But there’s more to come…
(3) How many court cards are shown in profile (and not full-face)?
(4) Which Queen is holding more than just a flower in her hand?
(5) Which King does not hold a sword?
(6) Which Jack is holding what looks like a fancy mirror (or maybe even a magic paddle)?
(7) How many Jacks do sport a fancy mustache? (And which ones?)
(8) And how many Kings don’t? (And which ones?)
(9) Only the Jack and Queen of which suit do not look into the same direction?
(10) Bonus question: How many of the regular 52 cards of a deck feature an asymmetrical design?
OK, that’s it.
And here’s my Super Ultimate No Stooges-Threads-Magnets-Switches-MO Prediction:
You have failed miserably! You mostly have no clue.
But don’t worry, almost everybody is in the same boat with you!
And now go back to your deck for a reality check and study the cards closely, as closely as probably never before in your life! I won’t post the correct answers here so later readers can enjoy (?) this test, too.
If you got just five (or even more) answers out of ten right (by knowing, not by lucky guessing!), I bow deeply and salute you! In that case, if you shoot me a proud and honest e-mail at zzzauber [at] arcor dot de, I will be happy to send you a free commercial and visual trick with a marvellous card-finding sword stunt performed by one of the Kings!
To make you feel better, I’ll post a brief explanation of this disturbing phenomenon in a few days. Rejoice, this is not about you and your shortcomings; it’s all about our brain, the way we perceive, filter and store information (or don’t)! That’s why so often we look, but don’t see…