I’m sure you have already come across some of the following phenomena in your magic life. But I’m not sure though whether there is a name for these. For the lack of a better term, I will call this thing meta magic.
In a nutshell, meta magic is magic about itself, within itself or out of itself (if there is a difference). A deception within the deception. Tricks of meta magic quality are utterly self-referential. For that, they may constitute bad magic from a layman’s point-of-view, but they may be inherently funny and stimulating for majishuns.
Here are some striking examples of meta magic I could think of:
- Doing a “torn and restored” trick with an instruction sheet that explains a “torn and restored” trick
- Showing a card trick in which a magician drawn on a blank card finds the chosen card
- Letting a burning cigarette disappear in a cloud of cigarette smoke
- Floating a Zombie ball or Losander table while floating yourself
- Sawing a woman in half while she is performing Disecto on you
- Pulling a small square circle illusion out of a bigger square circle that was pulled out of a huge square circle
- Changing a change bag into another change bag by using, umm, a square circle illusion.
I guess there is a lot more meta magic out there!